October is Indigenous Business Month, an annual event that aims to promote national Indigenous businesses and give them a voice, while highlighting the diversity of the Indigenous market.
Established by the alumni of Melbourne Business School’s MURRA Indigenous Business Master Class program, Indigenous Business Month was created to gather the best in Indigenous business owners, entrepreneurs and managers to develop new opportunities for Indigenous people. The initiative also uplifts business as a way of providing positive role models for young Indigenous Australians and improving the quality of life in Indigenous communities.
Continue reading to learn more about this year’s event and how you can get involved.
Indigenous Business Month 2021 – Theme and Awards
The 2021 theme is “Powering the Indigenous Economy,” and is a call for the Indigenous business sector and its allies to showcase the economic contributions of Indigenous businesses, individuals and organisations.
This year’s theme is a valuable reminder of the important contributions that Indigenous businesses make to the Australian economy – the power of which has become all the more important in the wake of the economic shifts that have taken place in the last couple of years.
The Indigenous Business Month Awards for 2021 will showcase the outstanding achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander businesses and provides identifiable national and local role models to inspire all Australians. The 121, Indigenous Digital Inventiveness and Indigenous Ingenuity Awards will be held virtually on Thursday 28 October 2021.
Our Indigenous Suppliers
- Airlec Services – Airconditioning company – https://www.airlecservices.com/
- Intravel Group – Travel – https://www.intravelgroup.com.au/
- Larakia Development Corporation – Recent Joint Venture Partner – https://www.larrakia.com.au/
- Babunbaree – Painting and flooring – email@example.com
- Ingeous studios – Website and Marketing – https://ingeousstudios.com/
- Carey Training Registered Training Organisation – Training – https://training.gov.au/Organisation/Details/140100
- PSG – Construction Company – https://www.psgholdings.com.au/
- First People Recruitment Solutions – Recruitment – https://www.fprs.com.au/
How You Can Get Involved
If you would like to get involved in Indigenous Business Month, consider raising awareness through your business or the local community, or participating in the various virtual or in-person events happening throughout October.
This is also an opportunity for all Australians to find new ways to support Indigenous businesses through investment as part of supply chains and as consumers. Whether you are an organisation needing suppliers or an individual doing your Christmas shopping, making a point to buy from Indigenous-owned businesses is a worthwhile way to contribute.
How are you helping to bolster Indigenous businesses during this time? We’d love to hear what you’ve come up with.